A dental X-Ray or radiograph is a picture of teeth/bone that aids in the diagnosis of any abnormalities in the mouth. In most cases, the dentist or hygienist will be able to see problems with the teeth or jaw that may not have been visible with a routine visual examination.

The types of X-Rays that are commonly used in our office include:

          -  Bitewing X-Rays (vertical & horizontal)
          -  Periapical X-Rays
          -  Full Mouth Series or FMX
          -  Digital Panoramic X-Rays

Why are they used?

Dental X-Rays are used to find a wide variety of mouth related problems. Some of these problems include: tooth decay, bone damage, bone loss, broken roots, impacted teeth, cysts, abscesses, as well as many other issues. Only 60% of the teeth’s surfaces are visible to the dentist. Without using these X-Rays, we may miss decay that is beginning to form between the teeth (the other 40%). By the time a cavity, that begins between the teeth, is large enough to be detected without radiograph the tooth often needs a much larger filling. Sometimes the cavity is large enough that the tooth needs a root canal because the bacteria got deep enough to infect the nerve of the tooth

Risks:

Some patients have general concerns about dental X-Rays that generally turn out to be incorrect. The amount of radiation that is given off during a routine dental X-Ray is very minimal. According to the Pennsylvania Department of Health, the annual occupational dose limit for radiation is 5,000 mREM. The average dental X-Ray delivers only 0.5 to 3 mREM of radiation. Digital X-Rays use substantially less radiation than traditional film. We are proud to announce that we are now 100% digital. Our office has been using a digital panoramic X-Ray unit for years and we recently upgraded to digital X-Ray sensors. Studies have shown that with modern dental equipment and a protective lead apron, no radiation reaches the reproductive area of the patient. Even with this high level of safety, for everyone’s peace of mind, our office will postpone routine radiographs on a patient who is, or may be pregnant, until after delivery.
3801 Market Street
Camp Hill, PA 17011



717-737-8423





Mon - Thurs:  8 AM to 5 PM
Home  |  Meet the Doctors  |  Meet the Staff  |  Initial Visit  |  Services  |  Financial / Insurance  |  Forms  |  Links  |  Contact Us  |  Mobile Website  |  Sitemap

Web Design and Maintenance by Chad Milligan